home

home office style {part 1}

February 18, 2013

Moving into a new home has been thrilling.  All those new spaces to spruce up and decorate!  As it could be imagined, I have several home-decor projects going on right now, but have been (trying) to prioritize setting up our home office.  So far it is a room crowded with boxes and files and papers and boxes, but it is getting there…slowly.  My first order of business was  repainting a very inexpensive (read: cheap) filing cabinet we have had for years.

I actually covered the artificial honey oak with spray paint years ago, to match some of the darker furniture we had in our “office”.  It did the job, I guess.  But it didn’t do much else.  Ok, it was hideous.  With the move into a shiny new house and a shiny new home-office, we talked about getting rid of it and getting something much nicer.  Then my DIY instinct took over.  And this is what that ugly file cabinet turned into:

IMG_6755

Before:

IMG_6348

After:

IMG_6758

I am loving the green trend right now so I saw this as a perfect use it.  And although we have polished nickel, chrome, silvery colors everywhere, I like the idea of mixing metals.  So burnished brass it was.

IMG_6763

I used tips from Centsational Girl on how to brush paint furniture.  It was so easy, turned out beautifully, and now I am thinking of what else I can rescue with a coat of paint!

IMG_6766

I am looking forward to sharing more of this room as it comes together!

Anne

Project Inspire

Keeping it Simple

The Shabby Nest

Tatertots & Jello

Oasie Moats

• Reply Krista February 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Love that pop of color! Green is definitely the hot color of the year! Great job!

• Reply twelveoeightblog February 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Anne this looks amazing! I love the new handles and the green is fabulous :)

xo

• Reply akkiernan February 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Thank you. I needed some green in my life…office it is!

• Reply Lynet February 24, 2013 at 6:25 am

ugh, that green is lovely! nice contrast with the bronze/gold handles! saw you from Homemaker on a Dime!

• Reply akkiernan February 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Thank you. I am learning to not be afraid of mixing metals!

• Reply bridgett February 27, 2013 at 2:49 am

Totally swooning over that color!! Fabulous transformation! Would LOVE for you to share at the party! xo bridgett

• Reply akkiernan February 27, 2013 at 2:57 am

Absolutely! Thanks for visiting!

• Reply Alex @ northstory February 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Visiting from the Osie Moats Link up! just wanted to say what a great twist on the handles for that. I may just have to try something out for my daughters room in the future to polish up the ones for her desk. I love that kelly green!

• Reply Best of Etsy: Stylish Desk Accessories | ConfettiStyle April 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm

[…] source […]