crafts, parties

pretty pinwheels {diy}

March 24, 2013

Still willing the Spring weather to get here.  Inspired by sunny days, warm breezes, and frolics in green grass, I made some pretty pinwheels using more supplies sent to me from Party On!

pinwheel

You only need three things:

supplies

One-colorful brads

Two-colorful paper straws

Three-colorful, two-sided scrapbook paper cut at 5 or 4 inches (I did a little of both)

one

1.  Draw lines from corner to corner on your scrapbook paper and cut on those lines, stopping about 1/2″ from the middle.

two

2.  Poke holes through the paper , one on the left corner of each section, and in the middle where your lines intersect.

three

3.  Push a brad through one corner, going outside to inside.

four

4.  Turn another corner in and  push the brad through the hole (outside to inside).

five

5.  Repeat with the third corner.

six

6.  Repeat with the last corner.

seven

7.  Push the brad through the center hole.

eight

8.  Pinch the end of your straw and poke a hole through.

nine

9.  Push the brad from the pinwheel through both holes of the straw and open your brad.

girl

Admire your handiwork!

close-up

I am thinking fun cake topper.  How else would you decorate with pinwheels?

Anne

Under the Table and Dreaming

The Dedicated House

Polkadot Pretties

Skip to My Lou

Craft-O-Maniac

• Reply Alice L March 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

These are absolutely amazing! I love pinwheels!!! I will definitely try this out some time and decorate. Thanks!

• Reply Anne March 24, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for checking them out! Enjoy!

• Reply redesigned March 24, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Very beautiful! I think they’d look beautiful as a non-traditional wedding bouquet.

• Reply Anne March 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm

love it!

• Reply Kelly @ View Along the Way March 25, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Very pretty! I made a wall of pinwheels for my daughter’s nursery. I thought it was pretty fun craft. Thanks for linking this up to Monday Funday!

• Reply Anne March 26, 2013 at 12:00 am

Oooooo, I bet that looked beautiful! Thanks for visiting!

• Reply Gretchen March 27, 2013 at 1:06 am

Ooh, pretty! I think a few of them in a nice vase would look good on a spring table.

• Reply Anne March 27, 2013 at 1:25 am

I agree! Thanks for visiting!

• Reply Home Coming March 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm

So cute!

• Reply Anne March 27, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for checking them out! Have a great week!

• Reply Quick 4th of July Project! | October 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

[…] Circusberry ….and then, a couple of days ago, I did something even better: I actually MADE some! Crazy idea, right? You pin something and then you make it.  As part of my ongoing attempt to become a seasonal decorator, I decided to crank out some 4th of July themed pinwheels. I went to Hobby Lobby and came home with this stuff: 4th of July-y scrapbook paper, decorative brads, and paper straws. I wanted just plain blue or red straws, but the most neutral I could find were these black chevron ones. Now I can have a fashionable and environmentally friendly kids’ birthday party with the extras!  I just followed along with the Circusberry tutorial. If I don’t make any sense, go over there and see what she says! 1. Cut out a 4 or 5 inch square from your scrapbook paper. This is where I realized that the tutorial called for double sided scrapbook paper. Oops. More on that later. This first pinwheel was not double sided. 2. Draw lines diagonally across your square. 3. Cut along the lines toward the middle, leaving about 1/2 inch uncut. 4. Poke a hole through the middle and in the left corner of each triangle section. I wasn’t sure what to poke holes with, so I, uhh, found this thing in my silverware drawer and used it. It worked pretty well. Be careful; it’s sharp! 5. Fold each hole-poked corner down toward the center, one at a time, inserting the brad through each layer (so you’re kind of tucking each new layer under the one that comes before it, working the brad from the outside in). Once you have all the triangles folded down, poke the brad through the center hole. 6. Hardest part! Paper straws are tougher than they look! Flatten one end of the straw and poke a hole through it. Insert brad through this hole to attach the pinwheel, spread the tabs out, and you’re done! Okay, so then I thought, “you know what’s pretty much the same as double sided scrapbook paper? Two sheets of scrapbook paper taped together with double sided tape!”  So I did the rest of them like that. Same process, only taping the two sheets together first. Super easy! Once I got going, I could do one in maybe 5 minutes.  […]