crafts

pine cone frame {diy}

November 19, 2013

Slowly but surely, the Christmas decor is going up.  Don’t get me wrong, I love decorating for the season, but typically I am the “not until after Thanksgiving” type.  Something in me shifted and now I can’t wait to style my home all Christmas-y.  This is the first item to go up:

pine-cone-frame-diy

Pine cones are one of my favorite fall/winter/Christmas items to work with.  I love them and they are all over my house when the season comes.  I love them and I hoard them…big, small, teeny-tiny, you name it.  When we go camping, I gather pockets full of them.  I even brought home pine cones from North Carolina several years ago because they were so huge I thought I just had to have them.  They are still a part of my collection!

metallic-christmas-decor

Enough about my obsession with pine cones.  This frame was so quick and easy.  First get your foam board, cut to the shape you want and painted whatever color you want (I did gold, naturally).

foam-board

Then the pine cones.  I used the small ones and then the teeny-tiny ones to fill in some gaps.  You can see a mix of gold and natural in there.  Mixing it up…

metallic-pine-cones

Hot glue, around and around until you get your frame.  I put a fancy glittery red “K” sticker in the middle of mine.  Oooohhhh, aaaahhhh.

pine-cone-wall-artsimple-pine-cone-art

I love how it turned out.  And I love putting my little treasures to work.  This might even be a fun kids’ craft, right?Signature

The Winthrop Chronicles
A to Zebra Celebrations
Brag About It Tuesdays
Monday Funday
Block Party
Home Coming
A Handmade Holiday Link Party
Gingerly Made
Bloom
Inspiration Gallery
The Merriest Blog Hop

• Reply Kayla @ Home Coming November 19, 2013 at 3:59 pm

It turned out beautifully!! Great work. I’m hosting a pillow cover giveaway that you should enter. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/michelle-dwight-designs-pillow-cover.html

• Reply Anne November 20, 2013 at 9:10 am

On it! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Amy (@HomeyOhMy) November 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I’m definitely a not until after Thanksgiving type, too. And I always regret it because it makes December way more hectic! Ah well :P.
    This is so pretty, Anne! The “k” sticker is gorgeous and the gold pine cones?? C’mon now… that’s instant love for me right there ;).
    Would LOVE if you shared this at the Handmade Holiday Link Party! Hope to see you there!

• Reply Anne November 20, 2013 at 9:09 am

I figured with only three weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and my daughter’s birthday one week before the big day, I better get a move on!
      Thanks for stopping by and I would love to share!

• Reply Cathy November 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm

This is just LOVELY & adorable! I love it, and it caught my eye at the Ginger Snap Craft party–I had to stop by!

I would love it if you stopped by our Facebook page, and said “hello!”

Your fan,
    ~Cathy Mini
    ourminifamily.com

• Reply Anne November 30, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Thanks for visiting. I am so pleased that you liked the frame…such an easy, low cost diy with big impact! Have a great weekend!