giving new life to old boxes {with fabric}

I love up-cycling and today I am sharing yet another way to reuse the old!  This week, I have been working diligently on shaping up my craft area in our basement. We got the most fabulous Ikea Expedit Shelves back in July of last year for that area, and they have sat there, cluttered and unorganized, since I put them together. Not very good. One of my projects on the docket was to take the hoards of boxes I have saved over the years, that were bare or sitting in stacks, and fancy them up for some sweet storage.

Giving-New-Life-to-Old-Boxes

I know, saving boxes.  It is probably a sign of some sort of disorder.  Don’t judge.  I had a very specific plan for them!  And I don’t save just any box.  They must have some durability and be just the right size to be useful.  Check out the before:

old-shoeboxes-and-such

And the after:

Fabric-Covered-Shoeboxesrevamped-boxes

Spray adhesive is your best friend, I think, when covering boxes with fabric.  And if you have a box where the lid completely covers the bottom, like a MacBook box, then you only need to cover the top with fabric.

I am in love with that black and white thatched-patterned fabric from JoAnn.  Love.

upcycled-shoeboxes-for-a-fab-craft-space

Here is my progress on some of the squares so far.  I am hoping for a non-cluttered look in simple black, white, and grey.  You might spot some silver, gold, and pink in there too.

cleaned-up-craft-spacecraft-space-progress

I am so eager to get this space finished!    What do you think so far?

Signature_zpsbf29e5311

Live, Love, Create
Serenity Now
The Party Bunch
Pinworthy Projects
What to Do Weekends
Craft Frenzy Friday
Serenity Saturday
Super Saturday Link Party
Link Party Palooza

9 Comments on giving new life to old boxes {with fabric}

1. Julianne
    February 15, 2014 at 1:02 pm (2 months ago)

Looks great. I did something similar with diaper boxes in our laundry room a couple of years ago. My daughter has the same shelf in her playroom so I might try this with all of her old shoe boxes (that i am hoarding for no particular reason).

• Anne
      February 16, 2014 at 11:21 am (2 months ago)

Laundry boxes would be great…and since I am going to have an influx of them in the next year I think I will try that out! Thanks for stopping by :)

2. Heather {Woods of Bell Trees}
    February 16, 2014 at 7:57 am (2 months ago)

No, no boxes are expensive so it’s not a disorder to keep them! I wish I would have kept my Mac box it was such a nice box. I really like these they are so cute and it’s so affordable to just cover them with fabric. Sweet! I am going to do up some of my boxes this weekend!

• Anne
      February 16, 2014 at 11:21 am (2 months ago)

I am glad to hear I am not the only one who keeps a stash of boxes at all times! Thanks for stopping by!

3. JoAnn
    February 16, 2014 at 10:49 am (2 months ago)

I love your creative blog! Thanks for some great ideas!

• Anne
      February 16, 2014 at 11:20 am (2 months ago)

You are welcome, and than YOU!

4. Linda
    February 16, 2014 at 1:27 pm (2 months ago)

Very nice, Anne.

5. Grace
    February 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm (2 months ago)

Such a great idea!!!! My hubby always ask why I keep boxes around mmm…. This is why lol
    Love them!!!

• Anne
      February 21, 2014 at 3:39 pm (2 months ago)

I have been in the same boat! Look who’s talking now…
      Thanks for stopping by!