crafts

glass jar planter {an upcycle}

February 18, 2014

Sometimes I feel like every day is Earth day in my house, the way I try to reuse things.  Today is all about the up cycle…again…or is it recycle?  Or reuse?  Whatever it is called, it is fashionable, frugal, and fun.  I might be obsessed.

Glass-Jar-Planter-(an-upcycle)

I had this little jar I had some sort of vision for stashed in my craft stuff.  It was a jar that minced garlic comes in.  Then shortly after, I had a preserves jar.  After that I had an idea, but I needed one more jar, so, the salsa was emptied into a tupperware container and I had my three jars.

upcycling-food-jarspainted-upcycled-jarsfilled-jars

Who knew, right?

Metallic-glass-jar-Planter

***If you like to reuse your food jars, let me give you a little tip for removing the sticky stuff left behind by the labels.  This is what I do for all of my jars and they come out squeaky clean!  First, peel off the label…with some hot water and some scraping, the paper part comes of pretty easily. Then slather the outside of the jar with vegetable oil.  Fill the jar with hot, hot water and let it sit for a while.  Once the water is pretty cool, dump it and scrape away at the sticky stuff on the jar.  I use the scraper that came with my stoneware baking sheets and it works like a charm.  Next, rub the outside of the jar with some dish soap.   Add some hot water to the mix, and keep rubbing, wiping, and scrubbing away on the outside of the jar.  You should find the sticky stuff sliding off in no time. Lastly, stick that jar in the dishwasher to wash with the rest of your dishes.  Or just hand wash it.

upcycled-glass-jar-planter

Since my planters are going into my basement craft area, I opted for faux-succulents.  Bummer, but I don’t imagine plants living for very long down there and I wanted some life-like items in my humble decor.  I am pleased!

Signature_zpsbf29e5311

Live Laugh Rowe
Gingersnap Crafts
Bloom
Gingerly Made
Serenity Now

• Reply Anjana @ At The Corner Of Happy & Harried February 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

Love it! I was wondering what the white stuff was, then I realized they were faux plants!
    I have a slight jar addiction too…haha…

• Reply Katie @ Upcycled Treasures February 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm

These are adorable and would look perfect in my office! I would love it if you linked up to The Makers link party going on right now, http://upcycledtreasures.com/2014/02/the-makers-link-party-5/ Hope to see you there!

~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

• Reply Anne February 18, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for stopping by Katie. So glad you like!

• Reply Amy @ Homey Oh My! February 18, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Looooove. I wish my desk got more sunlight so I could keep plants there. Might have to go with faux!

• Reply Anne February 18, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Thanks Amy! Someday I will have my office with 3 walls of windows so I can have pretty plants there. For now, faux it is!

• Reply Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus February 18, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Love these! I have some real ones potted throughout the house, but I’m decorating a dimly-lit bathroom right now and I think these would be a great option. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Anne February 18, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Thank you Ashley. I am also a sucker for succulents (real ones) an couldn’t resist adding more. Even if they are fake!

• Reply Erlene February 18, 2014 at 4:19 pm

This is a great jar upcycle paint idea. I have a bunch of glass jars that are dying to be transformed. Thanks for sharing. Visting from The Makers Linkup.

• Reply Anne February 21, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Get it girl! I have a hard time throwing away any jar I come across. Who knows what you can do, right?

• Reply Heather {Woods of Bell Trees} February 19, 2014 at 2:06 am

I love this! I had a Shira Ito on my coffee table for a while but it kept sticking my! I need to get something a variety that is not sharp…or get some fake succulents! I like the color paint you chose, it’s perfect!

• Reply Anne February 21, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Thank you so much! I love the soft edges of these succulents and I actually have the real ones everywhere in my house.

• Reply Corey @ Tinysidekick February 19, 2014 at 11:26 pm

These are perfect! I love how easy they were and so modern. My favorite. Thanks for linking up at The Makers. We hope you are having a great week.

• Reply Anne February 21, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thank you! Super easy.

• Reply Meredith@A TIPical Day February 20, 2014 at 11:24 am

These are really cute. What did you fill them with? Is that sand?

• Reply Anne February 21, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Thanks Meredith! I actually filled them with some silver vase filler I got at Michael’s this week. It sort of resembles sand…
      Don’t forget your coupon!!!!

• Reply Amber L. February 20, 2014 at 4:04 pm

They look fantastic! Thanks for the tip on getting the glue off of jars.

• Reply Anne February 21, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Chrissy February 21, 2014 at 10:30 am

This project turned out wonderfully! I am a real sucker for succulents of any type. My favorite is how the sand and gold play off each other.

I would love if you would share this project over at my new Pinterest hop!

• Reply Anne February 21, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Chrissy. I will stop over to say hi!

• Reply Ginger February 25, 2014 at 5:09 pm

There is nothing I don’t love about these. So pretty. You’ve been featured today at Gingerly Made!

• Reply Anne February 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

thank you Ginger!

• Reply Amber February 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I love these! You were one of my features this week at Give Me The Goods!!

• Reply Anne March 2, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply Upcycle Everyday Kitchen Items to Create Modern Planters March 9, 2015 at 4:24 am

[…] Upcycled Glass Jar Planters from Circusberry feature gold spray paint that creates a two-toned effect. Sand and faux succulents complete the […]

• Reply Upcycle Everyday Kitchen Items to Create Modern Planters | Interior Design Blogs March 9, 2015 at 4:56 am

[…] Upcycled Glass Jar Planters from Circusberry feature gold spray paint that creates a two-toned effect. Sand and faux succulents complete the […]

• Reply The Best of The Makers: Final Farewell + Giveaway April 7, 2015 at 8:00 am

[…] Glass Jar Planters from Circusberry […]