crafts

hand painted bottles

March 25, 2014

When it comes to being frugal and stylish, there is nothing quite like being able to reuse something you already have in new and exciting ways–low cost and fabulous all in one.  Today’s DIY is all about that.  Take something you have, give it a couple of brush strokes in your favorite color, and there you have something fresh to add to your decor.

hand-painted-bottles

I chose blue-ish, cool colors to work with since they are my favorite.  And with Spring here, thoughts of open windows, warm breezes, and blue skies are filling up my head.  Sort of…costal.  And remember these?

love-vase

My fun little milk bottles from Target that I used for some quick Valentine’s Day decor?  Those are the bottles getting new life.  I just peeled off the letters (they were on there with hot glue so they came clean pretty easily) and added paint (that I already had, mind you).

painted-bottles

To get the effect here, simply paint on a layer of your chosen color at the bottom.  Wipe of excess paint from the brush, then dry brush upward (from the bottom) using a light hand.  Let it sit for a couple minutes then repeat, painting on a layer of your chosen color at the bottom.  Let that dry for a minute and dry brush upward again, to just below where you painted the first time.

hand-painting-bottlesbottle-upcycleshades-of-blue-painted-bottles

It is as easy and as low-cost as that!  Too bad I haven’t seen these little bottles in the Target Dollar Spot recently.  They are such great little bottles to have for any use, any occasion.  Next time they are there I might have to buy them all!  Have a great day!

Signature_zpsbf29e5311

Gingerly Made
Bloom
Gingersnap Crafts
Snap
Live Laugh Rowe
Moonlight & Mason Jars

• Reply Amy @ Homey Oh My! March 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm

GORGEOUS Anne. Such great technique for sophisticated results <3

• Reply Kelly March 27, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Anne, these are so lovely! Love the simplicity with a pop of WOW! Thanks so much for linking up to the party. Hugs!

• Reply Anne April 5, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thank you Kelly!

• Reply Ginger April 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I love how simple this project is and how beautifully it turned out. You’ve been featured today at Gingerly Made!

• Reply Anne April 5, 2014 at 7:47 am

Thank you Ginger!

• Reply jennifer May 3, 2014 at 9:57 pm

What kind of paint did you use for these and wad the bottle white to begin with. Thanks

• Reply Barbara May 17, 2014 at 3:56 am

Could you please list the 3 colors you used. Those are the exact colors I have been looking for to use together. These are beautiful. Love them.

• Reply Patsy September 6, 2014 at 5:08 pm

What kind of paint did you use? Not color but paint. Thank You. Love the look. Reminds me of the beach.

• Reply Cadee October 24, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Would this work with a spray painted bottle? (Assuming these were already white)

• Reply REIDUN BEATE » DIY: 4 nydelige blomstervase-idèer January 20, 2015 at 6:11 am

[…] DIY nummer tre er både enkel og billig å lage selv. I USA kan de få kjøpt slike hvite flasker med melk, men det har vi ikke her i Norge. Vi kan derimot kjøpe maling og få hvilken som helst flaske til å bli hvit på 1-2-3. Hehe. Kjøp i tillegg to-tre forskjellige andre farger for å legge din egen ombre-touch på flaskene. Disse synes jeg er helt nydelige! […]

• Reply Yvonne February 22, 2015 at 1:28 am

Hi they look amazing, I used champagne bottles and painted them gold, made some gold stars and got some numbers with the year 2 0 1 5 and placed on each bottle.gots some curly wrapping ribbon and put some in the bottle with it streaming out. Very effective for newyears. You could change the theme for other occasions as well